But it’s also a great headquarters for a visit, with all of Memphis’ attractions just a 10-minute jaunt across the Mississippi River.
It’s a calm and comfortable oasis from the Memphis hubbub, yet still close enough to come back and change clothes after a day of shopping or touring before a night on the town on Beale Street.
And check out these Marion pluses…
- Located on the Great River Road National Scenic Byway.
- Great fishing for bass and panfish in river chutes and nearby lakes.
- Mississippi Flyway duck hunting.
- Championship-caliber golf at the Marion Golf and Athletic Club.
- Weekends filled with top-ranked baseball and softball tournaments at the area’s top recreation complex.
- Esperanza Bonanza Festival, every first weekend in May, with barbecue, crawfish, live music, a carnival and lots of other activities.
- Christmas on the Square — Annual community festival featuring a parade, Santa’s arrival in an antique fire truck, a Christmas tree forest and caroling with a community choir.
- A sense of history — Site where the steamship Sultana exploded and sank in 1865, killing more than 1,800 homebound union ex-prisoners of war in what is still the largest peacetime maritime disaster in the world.
- Crittenden County Courthouse, Marion Hotel and old Citizens Bank are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.